On November 8th, 2016 citizens of Long Beach voted on and approved medical marijuana businesses. Measure MM granted approval of up to 32 medical marijuana dispensaries. Included in the measure were buffer zones from educational institutes, public amenities like beaches and parks as well as other dispensaries. Additionally, the approval also allowed delivery, manufacturing, cultivation, distribution as well as laboratory testing facilities. This new ballot measure, known as Long Beach Municipal Code Chapter 5.90 requires operators to be licensed by the state following the state issuance of licenses that went into effect January of 2018. Any Cannabis business applying for a license that falls under agriculture, distributing, production, and testing will still follow the typical application procedure in Long Beach. These facilities still must fall outside of the buffer zones but otherwise it is business as usual.
The License Process
1. Candidate applies for a Medical Marijuana Business License in city hall at the Business License Counter.
2. Applicant visits Zoning Counter. Zoning reviews business location for buffers, the building’s previous use, and parking requirements.
3. Applicant revisits the Business License Counter to pay application fees. Once application fees are paid, applicant can leave City Hall.
4. Business License reviews application for completeness. Once application is complete, Applicant can meet with Development Services.
5. Applicant Contacts Developments Service staff to submit building plans. Once plans are approved, Applicant can begin construction.
6. Applicant receives the bill for the initial tax.
7. Applicant pays tax and is issued the Letter of Local Authorization.
8. Inspections of the building are finalized and Development Services issues a Certificate of Occupancy.
9. Applicants schedules final inspections with Business License and Hazmat.
10. All Departments approve the license in the online licensing system.
11. Applicant receives business license in mail.
Any planned medical marijuana property must observe the boundaries put in place by LBMC Section 5.90.030.. The rules of those boundaries are the following:
No Cannabis Business is permitted to operate in an area zoned exclusively for residential use; and can not be situated in a one thousand (1,000) foot radius of another Dispensary, a public or private school as well as any public beach; (as defined in Health and Safety Code 11362.7689(h)).
No Cannabis Business may be located within a six hundred (600) foot radius of a public park, public library, or a day care center.
Should you need professional help with finding a commercial cannabis property please feel free to reach out to me at (213) 802-0330 or [email protected] . From selling or finding your commercial cannabis property to consulting I can help. I have ties with political parties and industry players in the Long Beach area to help overcome any obstacles.
Rosano Partners is a full service commercial real estate firm located in downtown Los Angeles. Our Cannabis Investment Group is pioneering commercial real estate services for the marijuana industry. We have a dedicated research team, that works to find the most favorable markets and the best suited properties for your cannabis business. Markets we are currently working in are Adelanto, Lynwood, Maywood, Sacramento, Long Beach, Cathedral City, California City, and Sacramento with more markets to come as they emerge.