The Commercial Lease Process – Part 8 Moving the Office
The Office Move
Relocating your office can be more complicated than one would initially expect. Ensuring that you hire the right moving company is critical. Your moving company will often be your most important initial contact with your new landlord, and it is important that the moving experience be a positive one for all parties involved. The following is a summary of some key points to consider.
Selection of Mover.
Selecting the right mover is critical. A good way to start the process is to ask management at your current building and management at your new building for a list of recommendations. Investigate each of the movers carefully. It is also important to know the specialty of your mover. If you are a high tech company, you do not want to hire a mover that specializes in moving low tech companies.
Make sure the mover walks the project and gives a detailed list of all materials. Get a detailed bid in writing.
Work with the Mover Prior to the Move.
Make sure your mover has reserved freight elevators on the appropriate time and date. Also, make sure your mover is aware of any floor and corridor protection requirements your new landlord may have in place. Continue to keep your new landlord up to date with any date and time changes. Make sure your mover is aware of the following:
- Parking regulations outside the building.
- Freight elevator hours.
- Size of freight cars.
- Configuration of the building (will they have to change elevators).
- Special building rules and regulations.
- Confirm that your company’s insurance covers the move.
- Arrange and set up new phone and Internet accounts.
- File a change of address with USPS.
- Run an inventory of existing furniture.
- Dispose of anything you do not need.
- Order new furniture as necessary.
- Order stationery with new address.
- Make sure all permits and licenses are in place.
- Send out change of address notices to clients, vendors and personnel.
- Conduct team meetings with IT staff, design construction specialists and the mover.
- Change locks and passcodes at new location and distribute keys to staff.
- Confirm AC will be on prior to move.
Image Courtesy of “Logistics Delivery Truck In Movement Icon Illustration Ep” by atibodyphoto FreeDigitalPhotos.net