Sad, but true – most commercial real estate brokers are treated like Asses. I don’t mean the irritating or crude connotation, but the animal definition – a donkey or mule. And worse, it’s their fault.
Brokers are treated like asses, because most brokers don’t position themselves otherwise. On the contrary, consistently top producing brokers are viewed and treated like thoroughbreds.
When you think of an ass or donkey, what do you think of? Picture it. Chances are you visualize:
• A medium sized, grey horse that looks beat up, old, tired, and certainly under appreciated.
• The ass is most likely carrying supplies and is being pulled – or worse, hit with a stick to move forward.
• The ass does not make decisions.
• The ass does not guide its owner along the journey.
• The ass is paid with carrot sticks and hay.
Now think of the thoroughbred, and picture it. Chances are you visualize:
• The thoroughbred is tall, strong, muscular, and intimidating.
• The thoroughbred is fast, smart, and decisive.
• Owners know they can depend on the thoroughbred.
• Owners know the thoroughbred can bring them money – not only today, but for years to come.
• Owners treat thoroughbreds with respect.
• Owners know they can trust their thoroughbred.
Which one are you? If you are not sure, ask yourself how your clients treat you. If you want more control, greater client relationships, and consistently higher commissions – start with this simple rule: Don’t be an Ass!
Thoroughbreds are also notorious information providers. One way to ensure you have the right information at your fingertips, is to implement the correct CRM system for your business. Be sure to join us for our next free webinar – ‘The Great CRE CRM Debate’, where we will be joined by 5 developers of the most popular CRM platforms in our industry. This live event will be held June 1, at 1:00 pm EST. Click here to register.